Do you think it´s better to know how to read and write in your mother tongue before learning how to do it in a second one?
I think is not relevant to know how to read in your mother tongue,because the second language might no use the sme system to identify the meaning of the symbols.
For example,it is known that a second language like Arabic or Chinese does not use the same way to read.Despite I am able to read in Spanish and English,my reading strategy does not work for those languages,
What are the advantages of learning a second languages when you don´t know how to read? What are the disadvantages?
As a bilingual in catalan and spanish, I do consider an advantatge to learn before they read,because your brain will be focus in adquiring sounds and vocabulary .So before learning the way to read, you might feel more motivating for communicative competence instead of being focus on your mistakes.
The only disadvantatge is that those kids used to learn slower literacy ,because their brains have to classify vocabulary to a language,
María Climent Garces
PS: What is your opinion? TED TALKS bilingual minds
I consider International Education as an interchange of experiences among different educational systems available abroad. The big difference from the rest of the programs is that people will interact with foreign people who in fact live abroad.
What is an IB Education
Benefits of the IB
Benefits for schools
The International Baccalaureate (IB) offers benefits to schools.
- high quality programmes of education.
- professional development that supports effective educators and collaborative professional learning communities
- a worldwide network of highly respected IB World Schools.
Benefits for teachers
The International Baccalaureate offers many benefits to teachers.
IB teachers are given access to:
- high quality professional development
- innovative and diverse education frameworks, unit planners, teaching resources and evaluation tools
- certification and degree programmes
- a pedagogy known to produce students who are motivated to continue inquiry and lifelong learning, beyond school study.
International Baccalaureate® (IB) programmes of education are offered in 3 languages.: English,French,Spanish
Programmes offered in IB
Primary Years Programme
The PYP prepares students to become active, caring, lifelong learners who demonstrate respect for themselves and others and have the capacity to participate in the world around them.
Age range: 3-12
Middle Years Programme
A challenging framework that encourages students to make practical connections between their studies and the real world,.
Age range: 11-16
First offered: 1994
There are some school in Valencia, Spain,where this internartional curriculum is available.
- American School of Valencia
- the german school is known as one of the best schools in the city.
- El Plantío International School of Valencia – International Baccalaureate
Do you like this pedagogy?
I am not well prepared to give a good opinion about IB programs, but I have no doubt that those IB schools provide great opportunities to their students to have a very successful future as well as be able to be able to make friends with different mother language.
IB PYP Classroom.mov